Is yours one of those organisations that has been on the sidelines for Windows 10 or has migrated only a portion of its user base? If so, your users and IT teams are missing out on a wide range of benefits — including improved security, greater performance, simplified operations and maintenance, and enhanced support for cloud environments.
One of the biggest obstacles for many companies is typically the time and resources required to migrate. However, those obstacles don’t have to be an issue any longer. By leveraging a PC lifecycle management program from Dell EMC, you can mitigate those challenges and position your organisation for simple, successful migrations in the future. Here’s how.
Why Windows 10 now?
Windows 10 continues to gain in market share, reaching a peak of nearly 27% in May of 2017.1 Businesses are recognising the benefits of moving to Microsoft’s current operating system and leveraging a range of benefits, including:
- Ease of use, including a new interface that lays the foundation for future desktop and mobile devices.
- Improved security, with automation encryption of data and multifactor authentication.
- Cloud enablement, with easy access to cloud-based applications for updates and downloads.
- Service-oriented architecture, with fixes and future improvements delivered as ongoing automated updates.
- Increased mobility and agility, with users able to access their desktops from any location using files, folders and applications from multiple devices.
Making the migration
Despite these benefits and the growth in market share, there are still organisations that have held back. These organisations may not feel the need to upgrade from Windows 7, or they may feel that the migration is too expensive or time-consuming.
The reality, however, is that the migration can be handled simply and easily if you choose the right path. Perhaps the safest and simplest way to migrate to Windows 10 — or to any other new operating system, for that matter — is to work with a partner that offers a wide range of experience, expertise and options.
One of the advantages of leveraging PC lifecycle management from Dell EMC — in addition to improved security, agility and productivity — is the speed and simplicity of accomplishing a major migration. With PC lifecycle management, organisations work closely with skilled experts on all of the critical stages of making a successful migration, including:
- Initial planning, including building out a high-level design and deployment plan for adopting Windows 10, assessing your current environment and setting realistic goals.
- Proof of concept, whereby you create a working Windows 10 proof-of-concept image and automation process. This provides the building blocks to assess the Windows 10 migration process.
- Pilot deployment during which you use a Windows 10 OS image, create an automation process, assess user and hardware readiness, and create deployment scheduling, tracking and reporting for a Windows 10 pilot of up to 100 systems.
- Complete deployment service, whereby you work with Dell EMC over a specified period — five, seven or 10 weeks — to establish imaging, data settings migration and application installation for the complete deployment.
Migrations are often the bane of IT teams. Although the new features and progress inherent in new technologies are exciting, migrations are a lot of work with a lot of pressure and risk. IT teams can benefit significantly by leveraging as-a-service capabilities that simplify migrations and reduce risk. If you start now with a Windows 10 migration and utilise a PC lifecycle management solution, you can eliminate much of the hassle involved in a major operating system migration in the future. You get all the excitement but a lot less pressure and risk. Not a bad tradeoff.
1 “Desktop Operating System Market Share,” NetMarketShare, June 2017